The End of an Era

C has had the same lovey, Baby Tad, since she was about 9 months old. This stuffed toy has been wonderful for her - when we got it, it sang 6 different "daytime" songs; identified shapes and colours; made a kiss noise and said "I love you"; and most important, played 6 different songs for nighttime, in one minute segments. Ever since she figured out how to turn on Baby Tad's nighttime music we've heard at least 6 minutes of music every night, if not 12 minutes, or however long it took her to fall asleep.

Slowly but surely the other parts of Baby Tad stopped working... first the shapes and colours, then the kiss, then the daytime songs...

This week the unthinkable happened - the nighttime songs stopped working. C keeps saying Baby Tad is sick and doesn't understand why new batteries won't make him "feel better." I told her Baby Tad is still good for cuddling, just can't sing to her anymore but I know she's really disappointed.

(He's so well loved his hand is permanently dirty, no matter how many times I try to clean him.)

So, my dilemma is whether to get another Baby Tad and replace the one she has loved and cuddled for just under two years, or to leave it and let her either find a new lovey or become content with Baby Tad as is, with no music. Leave a comment and let me know what you would do!

5 comments:

melissa said...
1 February 2008 at 06:04

Awww. :( I think I'd leave it though. If she loves him she'll manage. Plus you don't want to be listening to him forever I'm sure. Quiet Tad is probably pretty nice too. ;)

Heather said...
1 February 2008 at 18:11

poor little Tad! I would let him go too...

I was just looking at our Tad (found deep below in our toy chest--he is about 5 years old now) and tried to get him to work for Charlotte, no luck.

Cristal said...
4 February 2008 at 04:00

Hopefully, she'll accept that he is now music-free. :(

How's it going so far?

Jaime said...
6 February 2008 at 08:09

AWwww. Aiden LOVES his baby Tad too. He has had him just over a year, and I too hear him playing the music in the middle of the night. He loves cuddling him in the night.

First of all, I love your series of pictures and story to go with them. Secondly, I think maybe you should not replace it and find something that she can love and cuddle now that she is a little older. The passing of Baby Tad is a sad one, but I think it is a rite of passage. haha

Lisa B said...
22 February 2008 at 09:32

Aw, that breaks my heart. What did you decide? I think she's old enough to talk to you about this. She can give you her opinion. If you're sure you can find a new one, explain that you could do that if it's very important to her to hear the singing, but that it wouldn't be the TAd she'd loved for so long, it would be a new one. Or she could keep loving the old one even though he can't sing anymore, because he's still special even if he doesn't work the way he used to. See what she says. It may surprise you.

Search and Win!

My Flickr

Kervin Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Back to Home Back to Top Slices of Life. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.